Re: search-citeseer_0.1-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> wrote:

> [ I'm including the debian-devel list in CC since I appreciate the
> opinion of others developpers ]
>
> James Troup <ftpmaster@debian.org> writes:
>
> > This package is dubiously small enough as it is without being split
> > into two.  There's no need to separate the 2k .el file into a separate
> > package.  If depending on emacs bothers you, make it a suggests.
>
> Yes, the packages is small *but* IMHO this should be splited in two
> since the -el package can but not used. Other issue is the last
> depends of emacsen and someone can doesn't like have an emacsen
> installed in machine.
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 otavio   otavio       4.1K Oct  4 16:58 search-citeseer-el_0.1-1_all.deb

Are you byte-compiling this elisp?

AFAIK, you need to depend on emacs itself (and not emacs-common) if you
byte-compile it.  I _think_ stuff can break if you don't, but I'm vague
on why.  Search the debian-emacsen archives.  I split off a package
because of that issue a while back, but the seperate -el package is 62KB.

If the above is correct, then you may bundle your .el file with the main
package without depending on Emacs providing that you don't bye-compile
it.  If it's 4K, it's presumably a very small elisp file anyway.

Peter