Re: Annoyances of aptitude (Was: Where are we now?) (Was: Bits from the RM)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:43:37PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> Eventually I found aptitude's "Dselect" theme, which helped some.
>
> I guess aptitude could be made the recommended default package manager,
> but I would hope that:
> 1.  Something more closely approximating the Dselect theme is used by
> default, so that dselect users don't get utterly lost.

I don't see any particular reason why aptitude should need to cater to
dselect users, considering that we still ship dselect (as essential, no
less), and dselect users are more than welcome to continue using it for as
long as it is maintained.

It is more important to provide something that does not cause _everyone
else_ to get utterly lost, and let dselect users use dselect.

> 2.  "Remove unused packages automatically" is (a) better described and
>   (b) off by default.

I've never had a problem, either with understanding or using this feature.

--
 - mdz