How many different configurations of Debian systems are out there?

I'm curious how many different configurations of Debian systems are out
there.  Hence, how many distinct configurations are theoretically
possible within the managed space of versions of packages, defined by
the dependency graph?

It would be very interesting to compare the amount variability the
Debian community supports with commercial products.  I guess, a script
analysing the package information retrieved by apt-get should be able
figure this out.  Is there any software that can provide such (or even
remotely related) information?

Auke

--
PGP: 0x4A34DD6D, http://bunny.sourceforge.net/