Resolvconf -- suggested reading before installing this :-)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:20:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > cardmgr's system of configuring things dependently upon
> > "scheme,socket,instance,hwaddr" is quite powerful but it is possible
> > to configure interfaces dependently on these variables using
> > ifupdown too (... though not so conveniently).  See below.
>
> 	One can also modify  /etc/pcmcia/network; line 109:
>
> <  cat $RESOLV >> $RESOLV.N; mv $RESOLV.N $RESOLV
> >  cat $RESOLV >> $RESOLV.N; resolvconf -a $DEVICE < $RESOLV.N
>
> 	Anyway, I think I am goinf to use start_fn and stop_fn in
>  /etc/pcmcia/network.opts instead of using either hotplug or modifying
>  /etc/pcmcia/network;  I am already comfortable with my network.opts,
>  and it is all working together very nicely now.

I still use start_fn and stop_fn on my old note PC.  But as I read
Thomas' tutorial on dynamic "DEBIAN" network configuration, centralizing
configuration around /etc/network/interfaces as he proposes seems to
provide cleaner environment.

AJ's ifupdown package is quite interesting and very debian specific.
There were not much tutorials on this subject and many conventional
configuration procedures tend to cause some trouble with ifupdown if
they are not deployed very carefully.  Although he provide source to
make detailed source documentation, this key package practically comes
in very cryptic and short user manual page only.

Whomever interested on this subject, Thomas' network set up tutorial
(draft) is available as "10 Network configuration":

  http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html
   or
  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html (older)

(Yes, he is rewriting my old small section with whole new section with
 very good overview.  Please tell Thomas about any problem in 10.1-10.8.
 Please understand this is on-going update.)

Osamu