Converting configure.in for use with new auto* tools - what a mess!

Hi,

I've fixed a critical bug in w3c-libwww and now want to regenerate all the
libtool/autoconf/automake files. Not trivial!

The usual libtoolize/aclocal-1.4/autoheader2.13 etc works under testing,
but I get build errors there, so I suspect I should try the latest versions
in unstable. (The build error, incidentally, is that libtool wants to
access files named "foo/.libs/.libs/bar", when "foo/.libs/bar" would appear
to be correct.)

With the same libtoolize/aclocal-1.4/autoheader2.13 under unstable, the
latter gives "FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for
this script".

Hrm :-/ So next I tried to convert the configure.in to work with newer
versions of automake. I checked the quoting of strings containing commas,
replaced all AM_ macro calls except for AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE/AM_CONFIG_HEADER,
ran autoupdate and cleaned up the mess it made of the configure.in.

Now I've got a configure.in for which autoheader2.50 *still* gives me the
infamous "undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion" error, even though I've
followed the respective hints in the autoconf info pages.

I've uploaded the file to <http://atterer.net/debian/configure.in> - could
some autoconf-knowledgeable person please have a look at getting it to work
with the w3c-libwww sources, or give me some hints what I need to fix?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯