Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

George Danchev wrote:
>Let me point out that Debian has always provided upstream (unmodified/
>pristine) kernel source by the means of kernel-source-x.y.z packages and
>kernel-patch-<whatever> ... and so on ... Now with kernel-source-2.4.22 the
>situation has been changed...

Nonsense. As a trivial counterexample, take a look at the
changelog.Debian from kernel-source-2.0.36.

>Not true ;-) So called by you unmodified  has all architecture-specific code
>inside. Get a kernel from kernel.org or svn from bkbits.net and cd arch/

And then try to compile it on anything other than i386. For some
architectures, on some kernel versions, it'll work. Most of the time, it
won't.

>Now you have a real nightmare with kernel-source-2.4.22 (named to bring the
>upstream 2.4.22, but instead patched and that was documented of course, but
>that is not the Debian way of dealing with kernels) breaking bunch of usefull
>kernel-patch-<whatever>.

Historical precedent is against you. That's not to say that the current
situation is ideal, but statements like this don't help.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org