Re: Unclosed ITP (#208508) ?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:16:12PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > It seems that problem was with changelog. I didn't change email address
> > to correspondent but I didn't know about it.
> >
> I sat down and had a bit of a think about this, as I'm sure the reason I
> asked for the Uploaders: field was to *prevent* this ... then went and
> had a talk with elmo.
>
> The problem isn't that your e-mail address was wrong in
> debian/changelog, the fact it was listed in Uploaders: should've stopped
> it being treated as an NMU.
>
> The problem is that changelog is policy-recommended to be UTF-8 whereas
> control isn't...  Because your name has an accented character in it,
> katie treats them as different.
I was thinking about it too ;)

> There's three ways to fix this:
>
>   1) Write your name in UTF-8 in both changelog and control:
>
>      Bartosz Fe\303\261ski <fenio@o2.pl>
>
>   2) Write your name in ISO-8859-1 in both changelog and control:
>
>      Bartosz Fe\361ski <fenio@o2.pl>
>
>   3) Write an ASCIIfied version of your name in both changelog and
>      control:
>
>      Bartosz Fenski <fenio@o2.pl
>
> Personally I go for (1), others may have a different opinion.
I think that I can use ASCII version of my name for some time.
That will be easier for me beacuse I personally don't like UTF ;)
In addition I am irritated when I see "misspelled" my name at Debian's
webpages (PTS, BTS, package.d.o and so on) so I preffer to see ASCII
version instead of actual form.

> It's also worth beating people up about half-utf-8ing things, instead of
> going the full way and making sure the tools caught up.
That's the point. When Debian moved its whole infrastructure to UTF then
I'll use my name in UTF.

But what about actual changelog?
May I make new revision -2 with ASCII version of my name and correct old
entry in changelog to be also in ASCII? I mean can I change old entries
or it's prohibited? ;)

regards
fEnIo
--
      _     Bartosz Feński aka fEnIo | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40
    _|_|_    32-050 Skawina - Głowackiego 3/15 - w. małopolskie - Polska