Re: session .desktop files

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:44:51AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > yup.  Though in practice .desktops shouldn't be marked conffiles since
> > they're not really.  Just like with executables and icon files and all
> > that.  Marking them as configuration files is broken.  Marking any .desktops
> > as conffiles is broken.
> >
> yup, i thougth about this as well ... but you know what that means?
> /etc/X11/sessions sort of died ...

> let's consider /usr/lib/X11/sessions instead ...

... which is ugly, of course. i'd prefer /usr/share/xsessions, but it
sort of feels weird if xdm started to read this location at some point.

another point to consider ... if packaged .desktop files are no
conffiles, we should consider making the dms read two directories ...
after all, admins need a location to add their own session types, and it
sounds wrong if they have to touch files outside /etc. and having only
one directory by putting files that are no real config files in /etc
sounds evil as well.
i'm wondering what the debian guys think about this issue, so let's
simply cc them. :) oh, btw, this thread is about shared x session
configuration for kdm, gdm and hopefully other display managers. :)

greetings