Re: overwriting files from modules packages

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:05:40PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> I am the (new) maintainer of bcm5700-source, a modules package for the
> broadcom gigabit adapter. The final package, bcm5700-module-${KVERS},
> includes a manpage, /usr/share/man/man4/bcm5700.4.gz. I just now ran into
> the problem that while installing the 2.4.22 image and modules, the
> bcm5700-modules-2.4.22 package attempted to install that manpage, even
> though bcm5700-modules-2.4.21 already put it there.
>
> This is a special situation, and I am not sure how to handle it.  I don't
> want to create the manpage in the postinst because then it would not be
> under control of the package management system. I could install a manpage
> including the version number and simply symlink, but then it may be that i
> have symlinked to 2.4.21 even though 2.4.22 includes an updated version,
> which is the one that's relevant if I booted 2.4.22.
>
> What to do? I appreciate any advice.

Kernel module packages should be treated with the same care as shared
library packages, since different versions need to coexist.  Anything which
could conflict needs to either be versioned in the filesystem, or moved into
a separate package.

If you want two different versions of documentation, they need to be named
differently.  Alternatively, you can just split the documentation into a
separate package and allow only one version to be installed at once.

--
 - mdz