Re: New release of ifupdown planned

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 02:14:13PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:36:31PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > Since the maintainer of ifupdown doesn't answer repeated attempts
> > to contact him by e-mail, I suppose it is appropriate to report
> > here that there is a group of people working on a new ifupdown
> > release.
>
> The term is "an ifupdown NMU".
>
> You certainly should not be considering hijacking it.

Why not?  *If* you're acting just like a vanished maintainer with
respect to that package, but are prominently visible elsewhere in the
Project, what does that tell us about your relative level of commitment
to ifupdown?

Is that level of commitment to the package measurably higher or lower
than that of a person who is not active in the project at all?  If
higher, how do we objectively measure that?

Guy Maor said he didn't need people taking over his packages either, and
then promptly went back to completel ignoring them and being utterly
inactive in the Project.  They've since been hijacked, and are
maintained by people who appear to actually give a damn.

Whether a package has been orphaned is not something that can be
determined simply from examining its Maintainer: field.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Computer security is like an onion:
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    the more you dig in, the more you