Re: Sarge+1: ideas for Experimental V1.2 (or is that 0.2?)

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:42:13PM +0100, Mark Howard wrote: > Hello,
> If we don't rebuild every dependant package in the experimental pool,
> we need then to have a way to eventually retrigger the build of every
> dependant package once it reaches unstable.

Binaries from experimental should not move into sid but be rebuild for
it. That can happen automatically by the buildds if source-only
uploads could be handled. Move the source to sid killing all binaries
and let the autobuilder crunch away.

> That said, ideally all packages would be rebuilt in the experimental
> pool with in an automatic triggered way and then only can the library
> component migrate to unstable, in the same way as stuff migrate from
> unstable to testing in this way.
>
> Special care would need to be taken for uploads of new stuff when one of
> the library pools is waiting to move to unstable.

Maybe experimental could be a source only section with a proper
build-experimental package thats preconfigured to build on a local
maschine and install.

apt-get upgrade for experimental should then fetch the source, run an
autobuild and install the debs.

Of cause that would be too much for some people so they wouldn't use
experimental. But are they using it now?

MfG
        Goswin