creating official Contributors (was Re: About NM and Next Release)

Not wanting to start yet another thread, but I not knowing where to tack it
on...

How about moving from the one-step application (one is non-dd or dd) two a two
stage process: introduce the 'Debian Contributor' brand with very easy entry
level, and only DC's (older than a month or something like that -
fast-forwarding of course possible when there's a reason) would qualify to
apply for maintainership.

How would that work:
 - every DD, or perhaps any two DDs, can name new DCs
 - there is an DC database, where DCs can maintain their track history what
they have done in Debian (linkls to mailing list archive & bug reports).
Important here: DCs have to maintain this themselves. The two main purposes
are that (1) once the DC wants to become DD, the people in the NM process can
easily see what the person has done in Debian so far[1]. (2) when a DD feels
that there are some tasks to do / searches a co-maintainer / whatever he can
spam the DCs - they are, after all, people specifically looking for more work
;-) Oh yes, and (3) since a DC has already proved his ability to contribute
to Debian in a meaningful way, maybe maintainers will be less prone to just
ignore contributions (from that thread I feel that *is* a problem. But I also
see that opinions differ on this.)
 - DC status automatically expires when somebody doesn't add to his DCDB entry
for more than a year (or whatever). This is the same as with rejected
applications: the candidate can reapply when he starts to contribute again.
 - the problem of people hanging on to their DC status by adding nonsense
entries to the db just so it doesn't expire shouldn't be grave: when looking
at these DB entries, anybody should be able to see quite quickly that this DC
didn't really contribute.

DC status is, of course, a vanity thing, too, but I guess with not giving out
mail addresses, homepage (beyond the DCDB entry) and accounts, it's usefulnes
for bragging about it is somewhat limited.

How would this change things?
Vanity applications would probably be stopped at the DC stage already, so the
people in the NM process don't take that load. OTOH the apparent problem at
the DAM stage wouldn't get away.

Just my €.02 on a hot Friday evening...
-- vbi

[1] obviously, the information needs to be taken with a grain of salt since
each DC maintains his db entries himself (or her, of course).
--
featured product: GNU Privacy Guard - http://gnupg.org