Re: Zeroconf Debian?

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 01:28:15PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I'm currently at the SAGE-AU annual conference, and Apple presented a
> paper about their Rendezvous technology, which is their implementation of
> Zeroconf[1].
>
> Is anyone working on getting Debian to do any of this sort of stuff? If
> not, I might look into spinning off a subproject. I don't think it would
> be significantly difficult to get parts of this working relatively
> quickly. Minor changes to ifupdown would allow for allocating an IP
> address without a HCP server, for example.
>
> [1] http://www.zeroconf.org

Almost certainly you can make use of ifplugd for this:

 ifplugd is a daemon which will automatically configure your
 ethernet device when a cable is plugged in and automatically
 unconfigure it if the cable is pulled. This is useful on laptops with
 onboard network adapters, since it will only configure the interface
 when a cable is really connected.

Greetings,
Oliver

--