Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

* Steve Lamb

| On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:50:21 +0200
| Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> wrote:

| > Why do you want to do that?
|
|     Imagine being at work, polling mail from home and then wanting
| to send mail back out.  If the computer, say the laptop, is
| configured to forward to work mail now you're using the company
| server to send out personal mail.  Even forgiving the whole idea of
| "Ya'll shouldn't do that on the clock" because people do have lunch
| breaks and so on some companies archive all mail that travels
| through their servers.  Do you want your private mail ending up in
| the company archives for several years?  I don't.

I don't know the laws where you come from, but in .no, I think this
would be very illegal.  Also, you don't want to archive everything
that passes through a mail server, that'll just give you a huge bunch
of unorganized crap.  That's not an archive.  You want stuff which is
worthy of archival to be sent to the archive, not archive all your
spam and stuff which happens to pass through your mail server.

|     Conversely while at home and answering work mail, presumably on the same
| machine, you'd want the mail to hit the corporate SMTP server first.  Why?
| Because of the archives above.  If you're communicating with an off-site
| contact and skip the corporate server their archives are incomplete.

Then you send it to the archive manually.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-