Re: Usefulness of SSMTP [Was: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?]

Joe Wreschnig said on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:43:49PM -0500:
> Interesting. I'm running unstable, but I can't find instructions on
> enabling TLS anywhere (nor does SSMTP seem to link to any TLS
> libraries). I see mention of it in the README (specifically, only a
> credit for it), but not the manual page, nor the configuration file, nor
> README.Debian. ssmtp.conf has no manual page.
>
> If it is there, it's damned well hidden.

Whups.  Yes, it is damned well hidden.

Apparently, the Debian package of ssmtp doesn't enable TLS, and ssmtp.conf
doesn't have a man page.  I rebuilt my own with TLS enabled.

I'm not sure why ssmtp has TLS disabled by default; perhaps a bug should be
filed?  It seems like it would provide all of the needed outgoing MTA
functionality without requiring a daemon.