Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

>>    bootlogd.
>>    Activating swap.
>>    fsck 1.35-WIP (01-Aug-2003)
>>    Running 0dns-down to make sure resolv.conf is ok...done.
>>    Please contribute if you find this software useful.
>>    DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>>    Starting Xprint servers: Xprt.
>
>    If the pause were after fsck and it was showing that it was
>checking
>the
>disk that would let me know the machine is doing something.  If the
>pause is
>after DHCPDISCOVER I can surmise that if the network isn't hooked up
>then it
>is waiting for a timeout there.

I would go further.  The first time I saw these messages I didn't know
what DHCPDISCOVER or fsck meant.  BUT I knew this:

* If it hanged after "DHCPDISCOVER", I should look up DHCP on google to
find out what went wrong

* If it hanged after "fsck", I should look up fsck on google to find out
what went wrong.

Already useful information.

Admittedly, I've seen some less than useful messages on boot (mostly
overly generic messages where I couldn't figure out what part of
the system could possibly be producing them).  Still, most of the
messages are really pretty good, if you know how to filter for the key
words.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html