Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:04:09PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  I can easily code an entry for katie and friends that takes a new
>  package, and marks up the ones with setgid bits set -- and the ftp
>  maintainers do not create override entries until they see a consensus
>  develop, or the security team says ok.

You could, but it wouldn't be useful as a filter, because it would not
notice packages which set the permissions in postinst (as does every package
with a dynamic uid).

Note that this is NOT what was proposed.  While I think this might be a
useful methodology in the future, I do not think that it makes sense until
the review process has established itself in a less fascist manner.

> 	Are you saying that the review was not discussed as a gating
>  mechanism? If that is the case, then I admit I, for one, was fooled.

>  >> All set[ug]id setups should be reviewed before they go into the
>  >> archive.

I do not understand how you logically reach "gating mechanism" from my
"should" above.  None of the other "should" statements in the policy manual
are interpreted this way.  How did I fool you?

--
 - mdz