Re: setgid crontab

Steve Greenland wrote:
> Apropos of the recent setuid/setgid thread, and also being prodded by
> Stephen Frost, I've changed crontab to be setgid 'cron' rather than
> setuid 'root'. Beyond the coding (which is mostly removing setuid()
> calls), this involves the following changes:
>
> add system group 'cron'
>
> change /var/spool/cron/crontabs from 755 root.root to 775 root.cron
>
> change crontab files in the spool directory from 600 root.root to 600
> userid.cron
>
> At first glance, the only access I've added with this is that a user can
> now view or edit (but not delete) her crontab file directly in the spool
> directory. Since one could all that with the crontab command anyway, it
> doesn't seem a big deal.
>
> Comments, suggestions?

One possible gotcha is that if crontab(1) does any sanity checks of the
crontab files, cron could expect them to be pre-sanitised, and might
behave badly if an unsanitised file is put into place by a user.

(As a user, what I really want is a .crontab file in my home directory,
so I can put it under revision control.)

--
see shy jo