Re: [PROPOSAL] Debian Release Plan [was: Re: Future releases of Debian]

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > [3] http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/Debian/freeze
>
> Reading the  whole "Future  releases of Debian"  thread, I  thought that
> the main idea was that Debian need a more 'readable' status for the next
> stable release.
<...>

While it would be nice to see at a glance how far along the next
release is, the proposal doesn't address the real problem of the
release cycle being too long... fix that and a more readable status of
the next release would be moot.

This has been an issue for as long as I can remember (I've been a
Debian user since 1.3), creating a permanent testing archive was an
attempt to solve it... but it hasn't worked because new software hits
testing too fast for testing to stabilize enough to freeze (how long
until the KDE packages in testing are a mix of 2.2, 3.1.2, and
3.1.3... two weeks?).

I can only see two viable options: freeze at regular intervals and
live with whatever happens to be in testing at the time, or extend the
flow of packages paradigm all the way to stable.

The first is like taking a 1/2 a step backwards (imo), the second
requires another archive because testing can not work as both the
output of unstable and the input for stable (it could if multiple
versions of all packages could exist in the same archive at the same
time).

- Bruce