Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:58:31PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>  - Preconfigure the packages we install
>
>      Using two different approaches: (1) Load answers into the debconf
>      database before the packages are installed using some home-make
>      scripts, and (2) rewrite/replace configuration files using
>      cfengine at the end of the installation if the package is unable
>      to configure what we want using debconf.  I'm fairly satisfied
>      with this solution, but am not sure if the method used to feed
>      the debconf database is the best available.  I believe the best
>      option would be to extend all the packages we use to make it
>      possible to configure everything we need using debconf answers.

There is a package in Debian called dpsyco that is just for this kind
of stuff. You create a package that you install and it sets things
up for you. It has hooks for cfengine (I have never used them though
so I do not know if they work properly.

I use them to configure my servers.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |