Re: mplayer 0.90, was Re: why mplayer not in Debian

Hi, Sam Hocevar wrote:

> ("statically linked for performance reasons", rotfl)

Well, when the glibc people had this discussion (the switch to ELF), the
performance penalty was found to be on the order of 5%.

I don't know whether modern CPUs' register aliasing hardware changes that
number.

Whether you consider that legitimate, or a fib, is up to you, but I'd say
that the class of machines where this would be right on the line between
real-time performance or not certainly isn't empty.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
One of the most striking defferences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has