Re: Future releases of Debian

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:17:25PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:50:06AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > For example, I tend to buy cheap hardware wherever possible, especially
> > for running desktop Linux since they're generally much faster than I
> > need anyway; but this means I tend to get built-in graphics, networking
> > and so forth. Most of which tend to be supported on Linux, but only by
> > the latest versions of X and the kernel.
> Where I come from, cheap hardware is old hardware, and old hardware has much
> better support in Linux (and Debian) than new hardware.

Where I come from, old hardware is unreliable hardware.

It's great that Debian works fine for you, but that doesn't mean
everyone else can just do the exact same things you do and be as
satisfied. Different circumstances, and different goals, and all that.

Is there any chance we can accept that Debian does have a vast range
of problems (like unpredictable release schedules, a lack of security
updates for testing, and a lack of currency in unstable for a fair number
of packages including X), and work on fixing them rather than having to
continually argue about why they're necessary to fix and why we shouldn't
just sweep them under the rug and hope no one notices?

Cheers,
aj

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?
                      Am I getting paid for this?''