Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:52:36PM +0200, Marc Leeman wrote:

> I can understand this, but this creates a problem for a number of
> packages. One of my packages is 'yepp', which loads mp3's on a Samsung
> Yepp player. If it weren't for my current sponsor, who started
> sponsering me for another package, it would be impossible to upload such
> a package, since I assume only a small number of ppl have such a player
> (?), only a small number of those use GNU/Linux and only a part of those
> use GNU/Debian. I had this package ready (not taking into account the
> remarks of my sponsor) in a basic form for over a year before I got it
> uploaded (I actually gave up on it).

> Obviously not having gone through the entire Debian Maintainer process,
> I wonder how much effort it takes for an experienced developer to check
> such a trivial package (if you will, compare it with the Pro-Deo system
> barristers have). Let's face it, most packages that get posted in
> -mentors are not that complex.

The issue is not just one of checking the package; it's also a question
of ensuring that, as a developer, you aren't uploading a package that
won't soon contribute to the problem of archive flotsam.  If you don't
use the software you're sponsoring, what do you do if the NM loses
interest in maintaining this package?  For that matter, if you don't use
the software you're sponsoring, how can you effectively judge whether
it's a reasonable addition to the OS?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer