Re: Future releases of Debian

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> a tapoté :

> Hi,
>
> some of you might still know me, some time ago I was a Debian developer.
>
> >From the point of view of a user there are two big problems of Debian:
> 1. stable releases [1] are infrequent
> 2. stable releases are unpredictable
>
> Point 1. affects many people - the software in Debian 3.0 is currently
> roughly one and a half years old. It's not only a problem if you want to
> use the latest KDE or GNOME - it's often non-trivial to find a new
> graphics card that is supported by XFree86 or a new scanner that is
> supported by SANE if you want to use Debian 3.0 [2]. It's not needed to
> release as often as other distributions, but one release a year is badly
> needed.
>
> If you need more recent software there are currently the following
> choices:
> 1. unstable (the name says everything)
> 2. testing (lack of security fixes, changes every day)
> 3. stable with one or more backports, often of varying quality and
>    with additional problems if you mix different backport sources
> 4. RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo,...
>
> In production environments you usually have to choose between 3. and
> 4.

What is a production environment? I would not advise to get backports
on a server... Woody is wonderful for servers, with no experimental
stuff and correct security update.
For desktop, the fact that testing changes frequently is absolutely
not a problem: if you install the distros in 4, and update whenever a
new version is available, you already frequently change the tools you
are using.

> The only thing that really matters for me is to get a distribution that
> is reliable usable in production environments.

"production environment" is a trendy word but you should define what
it means for you - Because the current releases of Debian are perfectly
ok for me in a production environment.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: