Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:02:08PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:17:20PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > uhm, you think the process will be fixed if people are running about
> > complaining about it?  if you've been around Debian for a while, you
> > know that people have tried that approach without it helping.
>
> NM applicants have two options (as I see it):
> - accept the status quo and silently wait for months/years
> - bitch about the problem enough that maybe someone with the authority
>   to change it listens

There are better ways :-)   For example,

  - work with other folks nicely and establish your fame for the quality
    of work.  Demonstrate your skill to work with other developers and
    to work on important sections of debian.  Your chance of becoming DD
    quickly will surly increase.

Besides, you got recommends to DAM on 2003-02-05
Not even 6 months of waiting.

> I've obviously chosen the later (for better or worse).

I reacted similarly previously.  So I can not blame you.
> > yes, getting through NM now isn't very hard.
>
> No it's not hard, it just has a very long (unnecessarily so) wait with
> no explaination for it.  I didn't complain about it being too hard, just
> that it's current broken and in need of fixing.

But you said some people are passing through.  Their DAM waiting times
seem to be less than a year.

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2003/debian-newmaint-200302/msg00054.html

> Just why no accounts are currently being created.
> Something can still be done to correct the currently flawed process.

As history tells, account creation is a batch process.   Please realize,
those who got approved then are not the older applications.  Those are the
people who James felt compelled to approve.

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss/2001/debian-newmaint-discuss-200104/msg00041.html

This gives interesting insights how James thinks and behaves.  I believe he
had more explicit messages later on this delay issues back then.

> The fact that db.d.o is down is not a blanket excuse for the people
> waiting for a year or longer.

But it surely is not the best time to complain either.

 http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2003/debian-newmaint-200305/msg00026.html

This recent message by Martin Michlmayr is another key mail to
understand what are the expectation from existing DD.  They want some
one who reduce their headache (sorry for my over simplification).  It
looks to me that creating packages seem to be the least essential part
of activity for most prospectus DDs to get quick DAM approval although
it is a part of T&S.

If you are waiting more than year after AM process, you should think
there may be some problem for you.  But cheer up.  You are new people in
waiting list.

Good luck.

Osamu