Re: but I want the GNU versions of packages

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:57:55 +0800
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> Gentlemen, after I installed "Debian GNU/Linux", I found I had to take
> extra steps to get the GNU version of a program installed, as some
> other leading brand alternative was in its stead.
>
> So what is the single command to apt-get install all the GNU versions
> of everything?
>
> Last year I discovered mawk sitting there until I banished it away with
> apt-get install gawk.
>
> Yesterday I realized I had been using mailx all this time while GNU's
> mailutils were sitting unused.
>
> Do I look in Packages.gz for Conflicts:, and then look in Description:
> for "this is the GNU version of..."?
>
> What other other leading brands programs are sitting on my computer
> when I could have been using a genuine GNU program?
>
> What genuine GNU programs should I defer, lest e.g. messages get trunc

A fair numbe rof those apps you probably want were implemented in Debian
before GNU made their own versions - install-info(8) is one of the ones
most often griped about. I believe which(1) is another case.

Regardless, having a "gnu" task is perfectly reasonable as far as I'm
concerned - just wanted to point out that it isn't necessarily
maliciousness or even a judgement call so much as things just *weren't
there* :)