Re: Application files in $HOME

Em Sex, 2003-06-27 às 02:14, Adam Majer escreveu:
> Then they should't delete anything with .*  After all, shoudn't most
> "user friendly" applications hide those directories in the first place?
> Even ls does it unless you use -a

But the question is: These files and directories uses a lot of disk
space... And today we have to clean another user's home, because there
is no way to a newbie to clean it, because that demands a certain
knowledge of the operating system and the packages that are installed.

P.S.: think of an office with diskless stations running debian with the
home over nfs and the authentication over nis, in this way we have to
set a low quota, because we don't have much space in the hd.

> Furthermore, this is what a system admin is for. If something is broken,
> they can fix it remotely.

I don't expect that a system admin even touch my home directory.

> > And anyway, this doesn't need to be made in one day, think about
> > debconf, there are packages that still doesn't use it and nobody died.
>
> I think that the two things are very different. debconf is not used by the
> end user.

I was not talking about this. I was talking about the risk of this
proposal.

> On the other hand, if someone is using Debian as a desktop and doesn't know
> how to upgrade it (and probably doesn't want to upgrade it too often)
> they will never run into the problem of run-away dot-files/dirs.

Unless the user needs to keep its disk space below the quota.