Re: CGI:IRC on Debian

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 10:28:04AM -0300, Guilherme de S. Pastore wrote:

||  I became a maintainer recently, when I took the prozilla package from
||  Gustavo Noronha Silva (kov), a few days ago. I am now trying to finish my
||  second Debian Package: cgiirc.
||  Unfortunately, the program puts all its files in the same directory,
||  causing problems with the FHS. I contacted the upstream author, asking for
||  changes, and even offering myself to do the job.
||  I got surprised when I received his response, telling me he wanted the
||  program to be entirely coded by him, following his own coding style, but he
||  wouldn't do anything by now.
||  I think I'm going to release the first version of the package "dodging" the
||  problem with sym links, and start changing the code from the second release
||  on, if I don't get a better answer from him.
||  What do you all think I should do?

Dodging with symlinks is not really a solution, as all the files will
actually still be in the wrong places.

Number one: try to reason with the upstream author and see if you can
make him see that standards are Good.  His software will be used more
widely if he designs it more flexibly.  For instance, it can go into
Debian more easily - he should like that.

Number two: if the upstream author released the sources in a suitably
free manner, you can patch anything you like, and massage it into FHS
compliance yourself.

Number three: you could fork the code base, and start developing it
yourself.  Not recommended unless you're willing to spend the time.

Ciao.                                                        Vincent.