Re: Advice needed : Oracle and Debian Linux

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:06, Antonio Pérez Pérez wrote:
> A "little" question from an user:
> What could Debian do to be supported by Oracle?
> Is there any way to contact them and become a supported distribution?

I am not aware of what might be necessary for this, but I imagine it to be
similar to the requirements for SAP support.

Some time ago I spoke with a SAP employee who uses Debian for his own personal
use about getting SAP support.  He told me that due to some German laws about
liability for failures etc SAP is unwilling to support any distribution that
is not commercial.  If a buggy kernel causes data loss then someone has to be
held accountable, Debian can't and SAP is unwilling to take the
responsibility themselves for what might happen when running their software
on a kernel that they have not tested.  The kernels from ftp.kernel.org don't
seem to meet the requirements for serious database use.

If a company wants to make a commercial distribution based on Debian then
providing that they accept certain kernel patches and comply with a rigorous
test program then I think that SAP would be interested in dealing with them.

I imagine that the situation will be similar for Oracle.

Lindows is not suitable for such things.  Are there any other Debian-based
commercial distributions that are still going?