Re: Packages preventing other packages from going into testing

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:30:03PM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> Take kdelibs as an example. When the RC bugs for kdelibs are fixed,
> kdelibs still can't goto testing, because all other kde applications
> have to be RC free and compile on all supported platforms. And since
> kdebase is creating internal compile errors from gcc-3.3 on
> mips/mipsel[1], there is not much sense raping buildd machines with
> builds that are bound to fail on some archs.

I don't think that's a reason to delay fixing kdelibs' RC bugs. The
build can always be delayed on mips/mipsel until the gcc problems are
fixed, and fixing the bugs gives useful information to other developers
on where problems are and where effort needs to be concentrated, saving
time for people who are interested in investigating these things.

In general, human effort is more valuable than autobuild effort.