Overwriting conf-files (dpkg-divert them or not?)

Hi,

for a local package (non-official, non-Debian,
my-pet-admin-only) I want to overwrite a number of conffiles
belonging to other packages.  Certainly this is bad style
anyway, but it seems to fit.  Of course, I don't want to
kill the original files permanently, so I think
dpkg-diverting them is the right way.  Are there any issues
when dpkg-diverting conffiles?  What is right way to do the
wrong thing?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers, W.