Re: apache2 and php4

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 11:02:00PM +0200, Celso Gonz?lez wrote:
> From the php website:
>   Dont use php and apache2 in a production system

Why not? Are there any plans to fix this?

> Also the apache2 in debian is compiled without the apxs, and (i think)
> the php4 is compiled wit any thread support (nor the roxen or the ZTS
> module) so is imposible to work with it.

Is there any reason apache2 is not compiled with apxs support?

> If you compile from sources in your debian machine it's going to work,
> but use at your own risk

So far the only concrete reason I have seen is "some PHP extensions
are not thread safe and would break depending on what MPM module you
use".

The response I have seen to this is "the extensions are not required,
don't include them until they are OK".

My personal opinion is that I would be happy to use apache2-mpm-prefork
to get apache2 to work reliably with PHP (yes, this is a work around,
not a solution).

I have also heard the view that lack of PHP support in Apache2 is
one of the major reasons it isn't very popular.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>