Re: Every spam is sacred

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 16:58 US/Eastern, Mathieu Roy wrote:

If you cut the phone-line the telemarketer is using because you think
he is doing a nasty job, yes.

No one is talking about cutting the telemarketer's line. I'm talking about (partially) cutting _my_ line.

You seem to be missing a fundamental distinction between murder and
refusal to communicate:
	1) You have a right to live
	2) You have no right to communicate with me against my wishes.
	   Further, I have a right to refuse to communicate with you.

Your 2 is off-topic.

No it isn't. Having that right, I can certainly ask others to aid in my exercise of it: I can ask my ISP do so.

Alternatively, my ISP, within its contractual obligations to its subscribers, has the option of refusing to communicate with you, too.

If a random ISP blocks an email from me, tough. I have no recourse. However, its subscribers might. Or might not. It depends on the terms of their service.

We're a speaking of a general policy, a system-wide policy, not an
individual policy.

No, we're not. We talking about adding a header to the message. If you chose to block it based on that header, that is certainly an individual policy.

The 2 would be in fact
        2) You have no right to broke communication between two
        persons just because you do not like the ISP of the sender
        one.

That really depends on how I'm involved. If I happen, for example, to be carrying letters between two people, I have the right to decline to do so in the future (unless I contractually agreed otherwise).