Re: Autobuild time-saving proposal

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:15:09PM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> christophe barbe wrote:
> > I have an idea and wonder if:
> > 1. it's not a stupid idea,
> > 2. the framework to implement it is already there.
> [...]
> > For example for gphoto2 I could run gphoto2 --list-cameras and  gphoto2
> > --list-ports which load all the libgphoto2 libraries and use them.
> > If both commands succeed, the package is certainly use-able.
> Can't you do (maybe with some LD_LIBRARY_PATH) do this in debian/rules with the
> executable in debian/tmp_or_whatever now (similar to other's doing "make test"

That's the generated package that I want to test not what is perhaps
going to be inside.

> or such?). It's sort of standard good practice to do some testing after build
> with more complex packages. Although I can imagine situations when actually

You mean it is "sort of standard good practice to do some testing after"
doing the packaging ? Of course.
Or do you mean testing the autobuilt packages ?
If yes (to the latter question) how do you do it?

> installing the package is more desirable (e.g. debian (pre|post)(inst|rm)
> errors) - whether in those case you want automatic testing is questionable, though.
Why is it questionable? If some basic test can catch most problems, it
seems to me a good idea.

Christophe

> Cheers
>
> T.

Cats are intented to teach us that not everything in nature has a
function. --Garrison Keillor