Re: Unresolved symbols when building kernel modules with make-kpkg, worked fine before

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:52:21AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:40:33 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:23:49AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >> Why should it? There is a perfectly good way of doing this using
> >> MAKEFLAGS; without adding to the feeping creaturism that has
> >> already infected kernel-package.
> >>
> >> It is even documented in the README.
> >>
> >> The kernel Makefile overrides the environment variables CC and
> >> HOSTCC, or else the MAKEFLAGS over ride would not have been needed.
>
> > That said, the MAKEFLAGS is not listed as environment variable in
> > the make-kpkg man page, while the following are :
>
> > Is there a reason for that ?
>
> 	Yes. MAKEFLAGS is not something that make-kpkg acts upon. This
>  is a common make variable. Just like we do not document CFLAGS, CC,
>  CXX, and other variables that the underlying make uses.
>
> > Furthermore, it would be nice if you could add a :
>
> > MAKEFLAGS := "CC=gcc-3.2"
>
> > line to your /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, like it is possible with at least
> > some other environment variables (ROOT_CMD and PATCH_THE_KERNEL seem
> > to work).
>
> 	Have you actually tried it?

Yep, i did try it, below is the end of my /etc/kernel-kpkg.conf file :

# This is the debian revision number (defaulted to 1.0 in debian.rules)
# You may leave it commented out if you use the wrapper script, or
# if you create just one kernel-image package per linux kernel revision
# debian := 1.0

ROOT_CMD := fakeroot
do_clean := NO
PATCH_THE_KERNEL := YES
MAKEFLAGS := "CC=gcc-3.2"

But still, gcc (which is gcc-3.3) was used (and failed to build kernel
2.4.20 on ppc).

Friendly,

Sven Luther