Re: automake/autoconf/libtool -- convince me

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:21:54PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> One reason not to run the autotools at build time is that it can make it
> more difficult to backport the package to stable.  If, for example, the
> package build-depends on a newer version of libtool or automake1.7, the
> package will not build on a stable system.  However, if you include the
> junk in the diff and don't re-run the autotools at build time, it will
> backport nicely (barring other issues, of course).

This is currently a big problem with my backport of coreutils.

Since coreutils in my SE-Linux is obsolete, that means I can not update
debianutils, because debianutils conflicts with older versions of
coreutils due to a file being moved.

Eventually I guess either I will have to backport the latest
autoconf/automake to my archive and/or somehow patch the differences
in, but it would be much easier if this had already been done my the
maintainer.

(of course, I realize this can get messy...)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>