Re: texmf.cnf again

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:13:04 +0200, Marcelo E Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org> said:
> 	This is in strict opposition to Debian practice where such
>  upstream changes are offered to the user, and the user may use diff
>  to examine the changges, and either accept or reject them, perhaps to
>  later manually patch bits in.
>
> 	This degradation of the quality of implementation just to
>  never ask the user questions at install time makes the current TeTeX
>  packages, in my opinion, suck.

With a hand-hacked texmf.cnf, I found that the diff was always rather
large, and a complete pain to merge, because it required a lot of
effort due to the large number of conflicts.

Personally, I find update-texmf a bonus, since I have my local changes
in just one file, which I can maintain mostly independently from the
rest of the TeX configuration.

While I take your point about being incompatible with other systems, I
would rather have this system than be without it.  If you must share
your configuration, you could split the shared stuff into a separate
file to be included by each installation.

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers