Re: Removal of automake1.5

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 04:07:49AM +0200, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 08:19:54PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
>
> > I'm of the opinion that no package should build-depend on
> > any automake package. They should run automake on the source tree and
> > pack that with the .diff.gz.
>
> Actually, normally it's enough, just to call automake-x.y on the
> Makefiles that got changed. Suppose foo/Makefile.am and x/y/Makefile.am
> were changed. In this case it's better just to call e.g.
>
>   automake-1.6 foo/Makefile
>   automake-1.6 x/y/Makefile

Do not do this unless you are familiar with how automake works and
understand the ways in which this can break, and know how to check the
Makefiles to be sure such problems don't occur.

In particular, do not do it with different minor versions of
automake.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK