Re: debian-exim mailing list?

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> a tapoté :

> On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:03:36PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > I'm perplexed about the mailing list request about Exim.
> > On one hand, exim is an important package, and there are already ample
> > precedents like debian-apache, debian-ssh and debian-tetex-maint;
> > but on the other hand, there's alioth.debian.org which allows for easier
> > creation and maintenance of per-package mailing lists.
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> I'd prefer that we didn't migrate everything to alioth as the easy way
> out, but I don't have any good reasons for that preference.

Maybe it means that preference is not so good. :)

I'm not at all familiar with alioth but it seems to be pretty
comparable to Savannah, which I know well. The most complicated thing
in Savannah was, IMHO, the migration of the GNU projects over
Savannah. Because you had to deal with 340 way to do a same thing.
According to me, it works better when the migration is plainly done -
and correctly done, which means it does not suppress legitimate ways to
do things.
For instance, to manage SSH access, it way way easier to have
everybody getting access via ssh or kerberos. But aside from that,
it's great to let projects admins giving write access to someone by
themselves than asking everybody to send a mail to accounts@thisaddress
to get an access, to wait 3 week, to waste someone time.

Creating a mailing list per package is surely irrelevant. But if
people can create a subproject on alioth, they'll get the freedom to
create such mailing-list without wasting time of other people. If they
think it's needed, as DD, IMHO, they should be trusted. And since it's
automated, it's completely harmless. In the worst case, the mailing
list will be unused, which does not consume bandwith, harddisk or time
- so which is not a real issue.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: