Re: Unofficial projects related with Debian.

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 10:28:19AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> The rules are quite simple: is there someone willing to write those
> pages ? I have this very same problem for DebianEdu, if I want a page on
> www.debian.org I have to prepare it but I have no time for that. I also
> don't have any contributor willing to do that so we have to leave with
> the initial Wiki...

Which is exactly my problem: I'm quite busy already designing and
writing debtags and related tools, and I can't dedicate much time and
resources in promoting debtags and the other usability stuff I care to
bring on.

Which is especially bad because:

 1) If I don't produce useful software, I miss my goal of increasing the
    quality of Debian
 2) If I fail to promote my software (in the free software sense: create
    interest around it and his code), I risk being the only one in
    charge of caring for it
 3) The more things I am the only one in charge of caring for, the less
    new things I can do.  Which is a pity, because I have a lot of ideas
    for new things, and because doing new things from time to time
    definitely contributes to the fun.

Free software in a way introduces the problem of creating sustainable
software projects, which is in part obtained with the quality and
usefulness of the sotware itself, and in part with the charisma and the
ability of the maintainers to attract interest.  Which means that a good
project can fail not because the software is bad, but because the
maintainer has no time, capacitiy or resources to promote it.

It's been some time I'm having these thoughts, I'm happy I've finally
found an occasion to share them.

Ciao,

Enrico