donations wishlist?

Hi,

I sent something like this to mako@debian.org, since he's supposed to
be our donations coordinator (at least, that's what I read at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200207/msg00001.html),
but haven't heard from him in a week. Not that I think he's ignoring me,
but this could be discussed here too.

At http://www.freebsd.org/donations/wantlist.html, the FreeBSD
developers have a list of computer-related stuff they could use to
improve their work on the FreeBSD operating system. I think this is a
great idea; if you need a hard disk, for instance, because your old one
died, which could impede your work on the project, it's nice to have
someone donate it to you -- even though you'd probably buy one a few
days later. Currently, because we don't have a list like that, it's
pretty improper to ask for such things, but having a hardware wishlist
such as this one could motivate people to donate and help out Debian
Developers in (dire?) need of hardware.

While a list like this one might sound greedy to some, I don't think it
is; the list requires people to state how they'd use the hardware. If
I'd ask for a replacement hard disk and nobody donates me one, tough.
However, if I'm working on something which is important to someone's
business, and I wouldn't be able to do so because of the dying hard
disk, a donation could be to the benefit of both me and the person
donating the hard disk. After all, since the reason for the bit of
hardware to be on the list is clearly stated, potential donators can
decide for themselves whether the request is a worthy one.

That's why I think this list is a great idea; I'd like to ask other
people what they think of it, and whether or not I'm the only one who
would be interested in having something similar for the Debian project.

Thanks,

--
wouter at grep dot be
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a

----- End forwarded message -----