Re: Answers to "Why is package X not in testing yet?"

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:59:48AM +0200, Bj?rn Stenberg wrote:
> trying: trophy
> skipped: trophy (6 <- 562)
>     got: 5+0: a-5
>     * alpha: trophy

     * Adding trophy breaks 5 packages (alpha: trophy)

You might like to rephrase that as something like:

     * Adding trophy leaves 5 packages uninstallable on alpha
       (the new ones are: trophy)

> I'm not sure what is going on behind the scenes when this happens,
> though. Could someone give a few examples of when this can happen?

     * trophy (1.0.6-5 to 1.1.1-1)
          + Maintainer: Guus Sliepen
          + 104 days old (needed 10 days)
          + Valid candidate
          + Depends: trophy clanlib
            ^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Since trophy depends on some of the packages from the new clanlib,
when it's put into testing without the packages from clanlib, it's
not installable. That's pretty much all there is to it.

> The number of broken packages reported is also correct, even though it does
> not match the list. This is because update_output.txt only contains the first
> port with broken packages, even though the package breaks on several ports.

No - the count is just for that arch; the difference is that the list
only includes packages that previously were installable. Packages that
weren't installable and still aren't aren't listed, nor are packages
that weren't installable but are now.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''