Re: Font uglification after apt-get upgrade EXPLAINED

> The Type1 Helvetica font distributed with XFree86 looks like ass.  I
> don't know if this is the font's fault (bad hinting) or the fault of the
> Type1 rasterizer (bad code).  One fix is to revert your local
> configuration to the old, "deprecated" default, as other people have
> noted in this thread (move the "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" directory to
> the end of the list).
>
> The changelog entry you're looking for is this one:
>
> xfree86 (4.2.1-6) unstable; urgency=medium
> [...]
>   * patch #906: re-order xfs's default font catalogue to follow advice
>     given in README.fonts document; move scalable font directories to
>     top of list and remove ":unscaled" lines
> [...]
>   * debian/local/dexconf: reorder font path components to follow advice given
>     in README.fonts document; move scalable font directories to top of list,
>     and, for 4.x XF86Config files, remove ":unscaled" lines since they are not
>     needed by XFree86 4.0 and later.  Also, add CID font path to 4.x XF86Config
>     files for consistency with 3.x font path configuration.
> [...]
>  -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:01:32 -0500
>
> If you think the advice given by README.fonts is bad, I urge you to take
> it up with Juliusz Chroboczek, who wrote the document.  :)
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a
> branden@debian.org                 |      government.
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |

Are you speaking of XF86Config Type1 fonts or the gsfonts-x11 fonts?

I had a font uglification problem with Tk after installing the gsfonts-x11
package, which provide a set of very ugly Type1 fonts with names like
Helvetica, Times, etc.

I solved the problem by moving the Type1 fonts at the bottom of the list and
patching Tk to follow the user font path order and prefer unscaled fonts over
scalable ones at same resolution.

The problem here is that for each scalable font the Xserver generates a
dummy font name with fixed size (12pt at 75dpi) and Tk was choosing the
ugly scalable font at 12pt instead of the old good 12pt fixed font.
See bugs #156115 and #156119 (still open!!!) for an explanation.

--
echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln56%1F+Pln56/snlbx]sb23C15C85417484EC5E429FD9776Asnlbx|dc;\
echo 16i[APq]sa[ln0=aln5C%1F+Pln5C/snlbx]sb72E28557F7FE184112F53F5FFDsnlbx|dc