Re: HylaFax

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 05:06:48PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > It does have some problems though, eg. spooling of outgoing faxes in
> > secure manner by multile users has not been thought out properly at all.
>
> That's solved with mgetty-1.1.30 (as soon as it works, I expect it
> next week in unstable).

I am not sure, what has changed to fix this in 1.1.30?

> > Also, try explaining to a non-hacker type computer user how to send a
> > Microsoft Word document as a fax to a remote user...
>
> Certainly a wishlist item.

I am not sure how this could be easily solved ever, hylafax has a
Windows client (not used it myself), which I believe integrates with
the Postfix printer driver in Windows, so it just appears like a print
operation to the program.

Without this level of integration, the user must install a postscript
printer driver (for some postscript printer), print to a file, copy the
postscript file to the Linux computer, run faxspool to send the fax, and
hopefully everything will "just work".

> > There are also some parts which could really do with more polish.
>
> I'm trying to do them just now. If you have suggestions, please send
> them to me or as wishlist items in the BTS.

Hmmm... Just issues like printing a fax to a postscript printer
can be tedious, I am not really sure how this could be simplified
though.

Currently all faxes are E-Mailed to me, but mutt doesn't have an option
"print each image one per page at maximum size".
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>