Re: Dropping/splitting (proper) i386 support

At Fri, 2 May 2003 23:57:44 +0200,
Bill Allombert wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:58:41PM +0900, GOTO Masanori wrote:
> > How about using hwcap?  So, libstdc++ (i486-i6/786) put on /usr/lib,
> > libstdc++ (i386) put on /usr/lib/386.
>
> Could you point me to a documentation of supported hwcaps,
> especially on sparc ? (please CC me).

Unfortunately, nothing.  It's glibc extension.

> What is needed here is a support for hwcap in executable binaries.
> Is it possible ? (Probably yes using the 'fat' binary format
> from NeXTStep. Not necessarily a good idea.)

AFAIK, it cannot be with the current sparc elf.  In addition, hwcap is
the method to load the architecture specific (ex: sparc v9) dynamic
libraries on the same architecture family (ex: SPARC).  A binary
itself is out of scope.

Regards,
-- gotom