Re: Dropping/splitting (proper) i386 support

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 05:49:08PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Sven Luther writes:
> > In truth, the simplest solution has no technical problems, and is only
> > limited by storage size and mirror bandwith. Nothing is stoping us from
> > letting the i386 arch as is, and simply creating a new arch.
>
> Unfortunately this does not work. libstdc++5 (and possibly dependent
> binaries) use an i486 instruction. But you are right, that adding a
> new i486 arch is the simplest way to go. After the split, stuff
> depending on libstdc++5 should be recompiled. On the other hand all
> the cruft remains in the i386 arch, not very lean.

Well, maybe we should hand move everything in i386 right now to the i486
arch, and then rebuild for the old i386 what is needed.

> Anyway, what is the procedure to start a new i486 arch?

I think you need to ask the ftp-masters to do it. There are some
considerations regarding archive size and mirrors that need to be taken
in account.

Friendly,

Sven Luther