Re: fixed libstdc++5 package

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:51:46PM -0700, Alex Romosan wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > You cannot have two libstdc++5 with the same shared object name.
>
> in the meantime just make the two libraries conflict with each other
> (rename the gcc-3.3 library to libstdc++5-3.3, the same way it was
> done with the -dbg and -pic packages) and keep the gcc-3.2 package
> consistent. if people want to test gcc-3.3 let them install that
> package.

Then we'll end up with 3.3's library never being tested against 3.2
apps.  We need to find these bugs now, not later.  The upstream
developers have been fixing 'em as fast as we report 'em.

> > Wait until gcc-3.3 gets released upstream and we will make it the
> > default compiler.
>
> when it becomes the default i'll happily upgrade to it. for now i
> would like a consistent gcc-3.2 package.

Using the 3.2 headers with 3.3 is intended to work.  I don't know that
it's a good idea... but it's intended to work.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz