libpng clarification

As some people were asking for it, and the situation is pretty unclear,
I think it is time for a few answers to the questions that can be asked
about libpng. This mail is targetted to maintainers of packages using
libpng.

Q: Why are there 4 versions of libpng on my system ?
A: In fact, there are only 2. The libpng12 packages are a rename of the
libpng3 ones, while the libpng10 are the former libpng2 ones. Now,
libpng2(-dev) and libpng3(-dev) only contain compatibility symlinks
ensuring full backwards compatibility.
The reason why there are still 2 versions on the system is that
gdk-imlib1 and Gnome 1 are still linked to libpng2 on other major
distributions. In order to preserve binary compatibility with them, our
gdk-imlib1 is still linked with libpng2.
The reason why the library was renamed is (partly) that it was
impossible to get development files for both versions at the same time.

Those moves were made upstream and are pretty controversial. I hope we
will come to a better solution soon, but in the meantime I can only
offer upgrades as smooth as possible, and compatibility with other
distributions.

Q: WTF, everything's b0rked !!?!
A: I am not aware of anything truly broken by the latest upload. The
only serious issue that arised is that a few packages (namely gerbv and
terraform) will fail to build as they depend on both gdk-imlib1-dev and
libpng-dev. If you think something is broken, please write a mail or a
bug report.

Q: My package failed to build, what's happening ?
A: This is most likely a temporary issue while the buildd hadn't updated
the libpng packages. However, if you have a build failure on *all*
arches, there is certainly a real problem, and there can be very hairy
cases (e.g. plplot).

Q: I'm maintaining a small package using libpng (and potentially a few
other libs that don't depend on libpng themselves), what should I do ?
A: You should build-depend on libpng-dev. Nothing special is required.
After compilation, your binary package will depend on libpng12-0.

Q: I'm maintaining a package that uses libpng as well as other libraries
using it (gnome, qt/kde, sdl... but NOT gdk-imlib1/gnome 1), what should
I do ?