Re: Introducing Alioth: SourceForge for Debian

Barak Pearlmutter (2003-03-31 12:01:40 -0700) :

> I hope this question isn't too silly, and please understand that I'm
> no sourceforge-descendent expert.  But, I'm not sure what Alioth
> does that Savannah doesn't provide.

Not much, apart from independence from the FSF (and Savannah has
recently been broken rather too often to my personal taste), a
migration path towards Gforge, and the ability to accept DFSG-free
projects (which is a rather larger audience than FSF-free projects).

> (I know Savannah is supposed to allow distributed replicated
> repositories - so maybe Alioth is a Savannah node, and my question
> makes no sense?)

  I am not aware of Savannah allowing distributed replicated
repositories yet.  That's been discussed, but I'm not sure it's been
implemented yet.  I may be wrong.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
  -- in the tunefs manual page.