Re: [desktop] Installation of mail server by default

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:37:10AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
[...]
>> I don't get it. Why is "apt-get install postfix" "brute action"?

> It forces to delete exim. Installing xdm does not remove gdm.
>   * You may have set to run exim on different port (for
>    (port forwarding or some weird needs may exists)
>    (Remember, /etc/init.d/* are conffile)
>   * You may want to use exim from command line to get BSMTP, ...

IMHO Steve Greenland has replied to this in
<[🔎] 20030329193608.GA16977@molehole.dyndns.org> much better than I can.

> Other issues are:
>  * You can not install both to read documentations

Documentation of most MTAs is available in separate packages.

>  * This conflicts move postfix to "extra" instead of "optional".

Is this a real issue?

[...]
>>> 3. sendmail, mailq, rsmtp commands overlap between programs.
>>> I think postinst script should take care this conflict depending on
>>> which daemon is active.
>> [...]
>> These links could probably be managed by update-alternatives. I just
>> don't know how smart a-a is (RedHat uses it for exactly this purpose)

> What is a-a?

Simply me being orthographically inept. "update-alternatives." ;-)

[...]
> But issue is does the maintainer of those daemon will agree, this is
> questionable.

Correct. I think that making it possible to install several MTAs at
the same time is simply not worth the trouble because the benefits are
questionable.
             cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_